To celebrate ten years of the self-publishing business, there are some interesting sales statistics exploring self publishing over the last ten years.
All publishers should be aware of the growing business of self-publishing.
Bob Young, CEO of a self publishing website had this statement: “There has often been a stigma placed on self-publishing that says the self-published author doesn’t make any money – that they won’t be successful. In our ten-year history, we have paid out over $36 million dollars to our self publishing authors proving that this stigma is outdated. It is now easier than ever to sell works in all sorts of formats, in all sorts of markets, on all sorts of devices, in some cases instantly. Publishing is changing. The concept of a book is changing.”
Statistics on the last 10 years of self-publishing from just one company:
- $36+ million earned by self publishers on a self publishing web site, $1.3 million of which was earned by the top 5 sellers.
- 45% of fist time authors published a second book
- 1.9 million+ registered buyers
- 677,403 published E-books
- USA published 949k books
- 56% of authors earned over $25,000 - 28% earned over $50,000 - 15% earned over $100,000
- 100,000+ titles on premier retail channels like Amazon.com